Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Stash from Korea

There will be lots of pictures in this post.

This will be my new travelling mate from now on. My sister had bought one from Artbox and I loved it because it has two different compartments, plus it's metal so I can put a magnet in there to hold needles :) I ended up buying 2 (but my mom took the other one lol).


One of the places I was planning on going to was the Dongdaemun Shopping Complex. I lucked out in my findings. I bought patterns from one (the flower panels were 2500 won each ^_^ which amounts to around 2.50 CAD super cheap).


DMC thread for my sister (but I will get them eventually :D), new scissors, thread winders made from wood and various other tidbits.


I found this as well. Good thing about it is I should be able to make it by hand. So refreshing to find something that doesn't need a sewing machine to make :) I also bought fabric for it.


We went to a Cath Kidston store and I bought a needle book from there (a little on the expensive side thought). I also finally found spring tension hoops.


Now these are my favorite new stash acquisition. When I saw them I absolutely had to have them. It's a pin cushion, thread winder and scissor case. They are all both hand embroidered and hand made. They can be found in the usual tourist areas (I got these from Anguk) and I even found a workshop that offered courses to learn how to make them (I didn't have enough time for it thought). I also found these "scissor fobs" or at least that's how I will use them. I got the one currently on the scissors from the Dong-Lim Knot Museum, it's absolutely gorgeous.


Since I couldn't take the workshop due to time, I decided to find the next best thing: books. It will take time to read because they're both in Korean. The first book covers Korean traditional embroidery (with images yay!) and the second (an unplanned purchase) is one of Kazuko aoki's who is a known Japanese embroiderer.

That's it for cross stitch stash, moving on to crochet stash. I did a little research before my trip for any interesting shops to visit and found Banul. This place is awesome, check out the link for pictures. This location also has a cafe, which is great for my sister (who is not into crochet at all) to sit and rest while I shopped. I got more books, in Japanese this time. They make the best crochet books! One on doilies and the other on crocheted accessories. From the same place I got a Clover magnetic chart marker and the pink ball of thread. The rest of the threads I got from another small shop I found by accident in the subway tunnels.


Now since Korea is the land of everything that is cute, here are just some of the other things I bought from there. Only some because the rest were either gifts or "confiscated" by my mom cause they were so cute lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment